Developing transformative therapies with small & mid-sized biopharma companies requires a flexible approach
Helping biotech meet critical milestones.
Biotechnology companies are at the epicenter of innovative drug development, with discoveries spanning from genomic medicines to first-in-class immunotherapies. Typically focused on a small portfolio of compounds, or just a single compound, in a particular therapeutic indication, many biotechs lack the full spectrum of resources or infrastructure required to bring these novel therapies to market.
1ICON has the world's largest dedicated biotech division
8,000+staff dedicated exclusively to biotech customers
500+ICON supports over 500 biotech sponsors annually
Our empowered structure enables flexibility and quick decision-making within the global reach one of the world’s biggest and most innovative CROs. Our biotech division of 8,000+ people operates with a mindset aligned to small and mid-sized biopharma. Our tailored teams and management understand the different pressures that are faced by biotechs and will engage, collaborate and share ownership in the delivery of your clinical trials.
Flexible partnership model for biotech, providing end-to-end integrated services
Tailored clinical development
- Over 8,000 employees dedicated to biotech clients.
- Highly experienced team and program leadership.
- Single point of contact and accountability.
- Faster executions through streamlined S.O.P.s.
- Senior management tactical involvement.
- Certainty of cost.
Consulting & advisory services
- Robust asset development and funding consulting.
- Regulatory and quality assurance strategies, submissions management and ongoing global compliance.
- Integrated commercial positioning to demonstrate the value of your product.
Organisational commitment to biotech
- ICON has the world’s largest operational organisation dedicated to working with small & mid-sized biopharma companies.
- Everything we do is with your study in mind – recruitment, training, tools and development.
- Dedicated resources with a biotech-mindset are assigned to your study.
Empowered and aligned structure
- 100 industry-tenured Directors of Project Delivery providing oversight on every study.
- VP/General Partners provide Governance and Executive advocacy within our biotech leadership team.
- An operating model with direct connection to Executive leadership that reports to the CEO.
- We make quick decisions and adapt as needed. We have all the resources you might need, whilst keeping engagement simple.
- Building enduring biotech partnerships to advance medicine and improve patient outcomes.
- The reassurance of a large CRO with depth & breadth of experienced resources and customised approaches to project delivery.
- As a trusted partner, we understand biotech’s needs; we take equal ownership for achieving your objectives.
- An all-encompassing suite of services, both traditional and innovative, all within a global CRO providing all you need to achieve your development milestones.
ICON helps biotechs to meet their critical milestones and deliver data and evidence-based results to investors, large pharma partners, regulatory authorities, and other stakeholders with responsiveness, accessibility, and true collaboration.
Early engagement and regulatory considerations for biotech
Gain insight into the common questions small and emerging biotech companies face, and the importance of early engagement and regulatory affairs when developing an asset and considering a drug development partner.
Reflections on Bio€quity Europe 2023
Discover ICON’s valuable insights from the 23rd annual Bio€quity Europe conference. As a Regional Host Committee member ICON was uniquely placed to evaluate the key trends set to dominate the biotech funding environment.
Exploring partnership culture and its impact on outsourcing and operational strategy
Partnership culture within the clinical research industry has often been overlooked as a component of a successful outsourcing strategy. However, culture can support, inform, and maintain strategies and operational decision-making.
Procedural and regulatory know-how for China biotechs in the EU
Learn how to navigate the European Medicines Agency registration and regulation procedures and gain access to a potential patient pool of 500 million people.
Biotech insights and media contributions
Blog: Crafting a competitive biotech funding pitch
Biotechs can hone their pitch with the guidelines provided in this blog and through early engagement opportunities with strategic partners.
Blog: Optimising biotech trial designs to stretch your cash runway
Read this blog to learn a few key considerations to help optimise and de-risk your trial design.
Blog: The importance of developing rTPP to build biotech asset value
Discover how Biotechs can build value into their asset by developing a reimbursable Target Product Profile (rTPP).
Blog: Uncertainty to opportunity - Recent trends in the biotech funding environment
In this blog, discover more about how the biotech sector is transforming uncertainty into opportunity.
Blog: Exploring the benefits of biotech partnerships
The biotechnology sector is leading the way in developing innovative therapies that will address the unmet needs of many challenging diseases.
Media article: Moving Beyond a Buzzword
How small- to mid-sized biotechs can adopt patient centricity in their oncology trias.
Media article: Due diligence and beyond
Dr. Sandra Eagle outlines how due diligence has evolved from a discrete standalone technical assessment, to now being an integrated part of the holistic development continuum of an asset.
Media article: Europe’s emerging biotechs
John Macdonald, Vice President, Venture & Financial Alliances, examines the European biotech sector – its expertise and opportunities, and potential for growth.
Media article: Biotech funding
ICON plc has partnered with ALSA Ventures I SCSp, a Europe focused therapeutic venture capital fund, to accelerate early clinical development within the UK and the EU.